Please note this is a site of historical record and does not contain current service information

Banstead Coaches  |  Elm Park Coaches  |  Falcon Coaches  |  Continental Pioneer  |  Golden Miller
West London Coachways  |  Redbridge & District  |  Imperial (Windsor)  |  Ben Stanley  |  Walton on Thames


Another of the early 'post-Chambers Report' bus routes in the London Transport area was that of Banstead Coaches of Shrubland Road, Banstead. It ran east from Banstead by way of the then busless village of Woodmansterne to Chipstead Valley. Started in March 1959 it was to run for 27 years until the deregulation of bus services in October 1986. Another circular route ran west from Coulsdon North Station to Clockhouse Farm Estate (The Mount) from June 1964 until March 1980, whilst a third route ran north from Coulsdon North station to Woodcote from June 1964 to January 1967.  The Clockhouse Farm and Woodcote routes were interworked to start with. Banstead Coaches are still very much in business today, and still a family buisness since being founded in 1949.

1969 timetable Banstead Coaches Woodmansterne service
Banstead Coaches timetable July 1976 Woodmansterne route
banstead coaches timetable 1967 coulsdon to the mount
Return to history page  


The second route which started under the provisions of the Chambers Report, after West London Coachways of Ashford was the first with their Bedfont to Fektham station route. This second operation was also in south-west London and not that far away from the first, starting in January 1957, and running a circular service northwards from Hampton station via Hanworth Road and Oak Avenue. Operated on a one bus basis by Falcon Coaches of 163 Broad Lane Hampton (proprietor Thomas Berry) it ceased to run in June 1963 for reason of losses being sustained.

cover of first timetable
1960 timetable
1958 timetable
1960 timetable cover
first timetable
Return to history page


Another 1960s ephemeral route in the London Transport area was operated by Elm Park Coaches between Romford station and Chadwell Heath station. Operation started on 15th June 1964 but although the route traversed mainly roads not served by London Transport buses there were picking up and setting down restrictions. Eastbound journeys were longer to avoid the westbound one way section of Crow Lane. Primarily a peak hours operation a limited Saturday service of four journeys was later added and ran for just three months from June 1965. After four years the service was withdrawn on 19th July 1968.
elm park coaches timetable 1964
Return to history page


After the withdrawal of Londonn Transport 235 this was a short route running from Richmond station to Richmond Hill, known locally as 'The Hill Bus'. Started by Isleworth Coaches in January 1966 operation passed to Continental Pioneer in May 1968. Eight years later, from August 1976, the hill terminus was altered to an extended one-way loop via Queens Road and Marchmont Road as in the timetable below. After twelve years, in September 1980, the route was given up when London Transport diverted their route 71.

August 1976 timetable for extended route of 235 Hill Bus
Continental Pioneer May 1977 timetable 235
Return to history page


In January 1978 support for London Transport route 264 from Kingston to Hersham via Walton was stopped as part of a need for financial economies. This was a single-deck OMO RF-operated working from Fulwell garage. The LT 264 was replaced in part from Hersham Green to Walton on Thames by a new hourly service (numbered 1) provided by Ben Stanley Ltd of Burwood Road, Hersham. This was a return to bus operation for them after an absence of forty-four years. Their route continued until July 1985 when operations were transferred to Mole Valley Transport Services following the retirement of the proprietors of Ben Stanley and the closure of their garage business.

Ben Stanley timetable obtained in 1983
Return to index page  


A local service linking Walton to its railway station some one and a half miles distant to the south.  The route originated in the 1920s but was somehow overlooked  in 1933 when London Transport took over most of the private operators routes in its area.  Happiily it continued as an independent operation for many years. The regular performer for many years was a 29-seater Bedford OB coach with Duple Vista body, MPG750, a somewhat surprising vehicle to be found on a bus route in the outer suburbs of the capital!  The predecessor vehicle had been another Bedford OB Duple Vista, 20-seater LPH482, bought new in 1947. 
In 1970 the route passed to Walton Lodge Garage but after only a few months it went to Golden Miller (F G Wilder & Son) who numbered it 604 in their series of local routes in the area and later extended it from the station to Oatlands. Subsequently at Christmas 1974 it passed to Mole Valley Transport Services but they discontinued it after just six months in June 1975. Illustrated below are the 1936 timetable and a 1970 Golden Miller timetable to portray the frequency of this route of just 7 or 8 minutes duration.
These operations are more fully described in the book 'Buses and Coaches in and around Walton-on-Thames and Weybridge, 1891-1986' by Laurie James, published by Pen & Sword in 2021.

1936 timetable Walton sttaion service
first Gilden Miller timetable 1970 takeover of Walton local service
Return to history page


The business had its origins in the 1930s when it is said that Fred Varney set himself up with the winnings from a bet made on a horse of that name. In 1955 Varney's business was taken over by F G Wilder & Sons Ltd of Feltham, retaining the Golden Miller fleet name. Adding to the original 601 Bedfont service and starting on 1st February 1968 two new routes were introduced, also based on Feltham station. The 602 went to Shepperton and the 603 to Hanworth. Subsequent expansion saw the 604 in Walton-on-Thames and the 606 from Staines to Stanwell.
Golden Miller is more fully described in a chapter in the book 'The Independent Bus' by Keith Turns, published by David & Charles in 1974.

604 Walton on Thames - Oatlands service October 1972
606 timetable Staines to Stanwell May 1972
Return to history page


In the 1960s London Transport recognised that there was a need for marginal bus services within its operating area that it was unable to provide economically. Super Coaches, Upminster started various such services - at first principally from residential areas to shops and stations - with emphasis on County Park Estate.  Starting in August 1964 a longer service was introduced from Chadwell Heath to Woodford Bridge.  Numbered 19 and using the Redbridge & District name it was the longest independently operated route within the London Transport Central Area at the time. From June to December 1965 alternate journeys were extended from Woodford Bridge to Claybury Broadway (as timetables below).  In January 1966 base frequency was reduced from half hourly to hourly and the route was cut back to Woodford Bridge again. The route was finally withdrawn on 14th May of that same year.

Monday to Friday timetable July 1965
Saturday timetable July 1965
Return to history page 


The short route from Bedfont to Feltham station operated by West London Coachways of Ashford had a unique claim to be a part of London's transport history as it was the first privately operated route approved by London Transport since the second world war, being introduced after the Chambers Report into bus operations in London was published. Starting in September 1955 and originally running seven days a week, Sunday operation was dropped in 1958. From 1st January 1962 operation passed to Tourist Coachways of Hounslow and subsequently this became route 601 of Golden Miller from 1967 when they took over the Tourist business.

cover of West London timetable 1958
West London timetable July 1958
Return to history page


A long established operator founded by the Moore family about 1920, with bus operations starting in 1922.  In 1929 the first of their town routes commenced from Windsor to Clewer,  followed in 1936 by Windsor to Maidenhead Road.  From 1st June 1947 the routes were extended with the expansion of housing to Vale Estate and Dedworth (Foster Avenue junction with Wolf Lane) respectively.
From January 1960 the route reached Martin Estate. Eventually, as the town expanded further west, the Clewer and Dedworth routes met at Ruddlesway. and were combined to form circular services operating in both directions in February 1971. The routes passed to the Bee Line in January 1987 after nearly sixty years operation on the death of the founder.  A book by author Paul Lacey on the independent operators of the Windsor area was published in March 2023.

cover revised service January 1960
revised timetable martin estate January 1960
cover of times and fares leaflet
timetables services 1 and 2
timetable foster avenue service
timetable service 3
After the takeover of the Imperial routes to Dedworth and Clewer by The Bee Line in January 1987 operations were to continue in a similar manner on alternate twenty minute frequencies for some years afterwards, as shown by the extract from the October 1990 timetable below.

Bee Line timetable for Imperial routes October 1990

Return to history page

Please note this is a site of historical record and does not contain current service information