from the ABC Taxis business founded by Mr J Lambley in 1945 their first
full sized PSV vehicle is believed to have been acquired in 1961. With
Guildford lying on the boundary line between London Country
Buses and Aldershot & District there was always scope for
independent operators (over the years this had included Safeguard, Yellow Bus Service of
Under the Blue Saloon name
bus services were started on 1st March 1973. The
route commenced after a licensing dispute with both London Country and
Tillingbourne as to who should run it. This was from Guildford to
Boxgrove Park, later extended westwards to Woodbridge Meadows.
By the time of the 1980 timetable shown below there two routes, with route 1
starting at Woodbridge Meadows industrial estate, then alongside the River Wey, passing through the town centre and on
to London Road Station and St Lukes Hospital, then out along Warren Road before terminating
at Collingwood Crescent on a loop through Boxgrove Park to the east of
the town. Route 2 also started from Woodbridge Meadows, following route
1 into the town centre and London Road Station, then running in a south easterly direction to a
terminal loop along Pewley Way and Addison Road in Charlotteville.
Operations commenced using three RF buses with comprehensive destination
displays, and Bristol LH were to become favourites for this operator
too. In 1981 the fleet comprised fourteen PSV vehicles, of which five were buses and nine were coaches.
the Blue Saloon routes were run hourly. In some ways the services along Warren Road
(former 451) and Pewley Way (former 448A) were 'orphan routes' that had originally been short
workings for London Country and then passed to Tillingbourne with
little success and later Safeguard tried too. In 1980 Blue Saloon had
ambitions to extend the operations of their blue and white buses further
eastwards to Merrow Park although this seems not to have happened.
Saloon name had previously been present in this area in pre-war years
under the ownership of Mr Locke, with routes to Ripley, Send and
Woking. Mr Locke, who started in 1924, sold out to Aldershot & District in January 1938
with his routes and vehicles shared between them and London Country
Buses. Mr Lambley of ABC had driven for Mr Locke and acquired the right
to use the name of the defunct operation.
major reorganisation of bus services in Guildford took
place in 1979. Vehicles were operated
under the Weyfarer brand name with an interavailable ticket. A proposal was put forward in 1983 jointly by Safeguard,
Tillingbourne and Blue Saloon to
take over all of the town services in Guildford themselves. After some
consideration by the local authority it was impractical to
proceed, and doubtless the idea was not supported by London Country or
Alder Valley. Blue Saloon adopted the 'Hoppa-Shoppa' name for
their own local services.